Last December, I spent 2 days at Kalahari Plains Camp in Botswana. Set in Central Kalahari Game Reserve, this classic camp comprises 10 en-suite canvas units with a sleep-out above each from which to enjoy moonlit or star-studded nights. The main area consists of a lounge and dining area with a swimming pool and deck. Solar power provides all the electricity and hot water in the camp and insulated canvas walls and roof keep temperatures inside the units comfortable.
Central Kalahari Game Reserve is the largest conservation area in the country and one of the largest in the world. Its star attractions include the legendary Kalahari black-maned lion as well as some of the world’s best cheetah viewing.
I had great pleasure of staying at this classic yet luxury camp because;
- I came face to face with the legendary black-maned Kalahari lion a few times, a rare experience for Africa travellers.
- I did the guided Bushman Walk and got to know the culture of the San Bushman people closer. The Bushman Walk was the highlight for me.
- I spent a romantic night sleeping out on the roof of my tent, under the star-studded African skies.
- The food was amazing, the camp fire and the local dances performed by the staff around the fire was truly unforgettable.
- The camp shop was much better than most of the premium camps’ shops.
Thank you Kalahari Plains…
Wilderness Safaris, www.wilderness-safaris.com