A member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, Hemingways Nairobi is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever been in Africa. It delivers pure luxury in all aspects. What attracted me most was the “Out of Africa” feeling I had as soon as I entered the lobby. You can see and feel this Hollywood touch all around because the general concept was created out of it. Each of the suites is named after a historical figure who has made an impact on the world and who is connected to Kenya. Lord Errol, Beryl Markham, Leakey, Daphne Sheldrick, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are but a few examples.
- Hemingways Nairobi is nestled in the leafy residential area of Karen.
- It’s an all-suite property. There are 45 luxurious guest rooms: Two penthouse style Presidential Suites and 43 Junior Suites.
- The suits are all named after a famous person related with Africa. I visited the Robert Redford Suite. You should book this room or Meryl Streep Suite if you like the movie “Out of Africa”.
- Karen Blixen and Ernest Hemingway suites are extraordinary.
- The smallest room is 80 square meters with magnificent views of the Ngong Hills (where Karen Blixen lived).
- All suites have spacious en-suite bathrooms lined with hand cut Italian marble, walk-in wardrobe, double vanity, separate toilet, bath and shower.
- Muted colours and textured fabrics in ecru and taupe create an ambiance of contemporary-chic while subtle touches of brass, mahogany and leather bear reference to the classic elegance of vintage East African safaris.
- Each room has a plasma screen television that automatically retract into a safari trunk at the touch of a button.
- There is personal butler service for every guest.
- There are three restaurants and on the walls of The Brasserie restaurant are quotes from famous African leaders like Nelson Mandela, Jomo Kenyatta and Julius Nyerere. A giant replica of the Academy Award stands in the spotlight surrounded by posters of famous movies filmed in Kenya.
- There’s a spa with four treatment rooms that make use of sacred rituals to cleanse and reinvigorate.
- There’s a fully-equipped gym and a professional hair salon.
- There is a big outdoor heated swimming pool.
- The feature of the Brasserie restaurant is the Josper oven. This indoor barbecue is the only one of its kind in Kenya, specially imported by Hemingways to produce the best steaks in town. The steaks are really the best!
Hemingways Nairobi www.hemingways-collection.com